Are you a Holiday enthusiast? Lover of fandoms? Ever wanted to express your love for the two? Cue Holiday Matsuri! The Christmas party for every and all fans.
Everyone knows as soon as November hits that only means one thing, IT’S CHRISTMAS! (and then that one day of Thanksgiving but who’s really counting?)
Every November also means everyone starts gearing up and starting their con-crunch for last month’s Holiday Matsuri! A yearly convention held in Orlando, Florida focusing on holiday-themed festivities! I headed down there that weekend for the 2nd time and I was so excited to get my nerdy Christmas on!
Holiday Matsuri (aka HolMat/ HolidayMat) is a nerdy celebration special because it’s holiday-themed! Most con attendees are decked out in holiday versions of their favorite characters. Events include a cosplay masquerade, artist alley and exhibitors floor, various voice actors and of course a large amount of cosplay and panels!
This year’s special guests included:
Key reasons to go:
- Super Friendly con. Most guests use this con as an online friend meeting stop on the con tour throughout the year! Everyone was super friendly and welcoming when I went!
- There’s something for everyone. From gaming tournaments throughout the weekend, fandom meet ups, amazing panels, maid cafe, cosplay competitions, kpop and idol content, and so much more that everyone will find something fun to do!
- It’s not too packed. It’s the perfect turnout so for those not partial to crowds this con isn’t overwhelming and there are lots of places to get away from the con antics such as a manga library, quiet room, and of course the pool area at night. sidebar: The exhibitors hall is big enough to enjoy without being too much. Great vendors and really awesome artists are all around too.
- Amazing Photo ops. Being held at the Orlando World Marriott, this con is a gold mine for any cosplayers’ dream photoshoot. So many cool places to shoot for all kinds of cosplays! Also great opportunities to meet and network with photographers as a lot came out.
- Great excuse to head to Orlando! If you plan early enough this trip could also be a nice vacation style getaway. Holiday Matsuri being held in Orlando lends you some of the greatest theme parks at your fingertips such as Disney, (or Disney Springs which is a great pocket-friendly cute option), Universal (and Harry Potter’s world!) and a lot of other cool places to check out in the area or just enjoy the awesome hotel’s amenities such as the spa, or awesome pool area.
Being that Holmat is a bit of a party con I was super excited to partake in this year’s after parties. There were two nights of parties, the first night was an 18+ rave Friday night and then Saturday night had multiple 21+ options such as the Cosplay Deviant party, which was really fun and wild!
If parties aren’t your thing, the main bar in the hotel’s lobby is always a huge meetup spot for just fun and chatting. The bar is where you’ll find a specialty-flavored, anime-themed drink menu they do every year.[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRkRhpqxnHU]
Make sure you check back soon for your #1 con resource guide, Quirktastic fam!
What's Your Reaction?
Hey everyone! ~*~ NYC based cosplayer of 4 years. New streamer on twitch! Space enthusiast, lover of all puppies